Hydro-Stat, Inc. " owner Mr. Rick Nickels demonstrating how a fish store/pet shop can refill the ISTA aluminum cylinders from a larger 50lb CO2 tank. The ISTA aluminum cylinder from Taiwan sold in the US can be easily refilled. As they are manufactured with the American CO2 Valve Thread Size " CGA 320 " CGA stands for Compressed Gas Association and if often called an ASA thread or Air Source Adaptor. There are four different ISTA aluminum cylinders which all contain the same American Valve Thread Size: .5L, .82L, 1L and 2L.
Note that the 50 lb tank must contain a siphon. Since you're transferring liquid CO2, the gas form will be on the top portion on the tank as the liquid will be underneath. The siphon will allow the liquid to be extracted from the bottom of the tank. Make sure that the scale is used so you do not overfill it. Follow the chart below.
The professional transfer whip available directly from Gulfstream sold at COST! US$223.00 plus shipping cost. The Cost/Benefit on this system: On a 50 lb. CO2 cylinder you can fill approximately 30 1L ISTA cylinders charging an average of US$10.00 per fill The transfer whip cost will pay off in one single CO2 50 lb. cylinder. Note that only 60% of the total CO2 on the 50 lb. cylinder will be used with this type of method. There is not enough pressure on the remaining 40% in the 50 lb. cylinder for the transfer.
The transfer whip sold does not include the ball valve. It is not necessary since it is an additional step. The CO2 into the transfer whip is controlled by opening and closing of the valve on the 50 lb cylinder.
Note: We do not recommend any other transfer whip which might compromise on the efficiency and safety of this process. Only the one custom made by Hydro-Stat supplied by us!
Contact information to purchase the professional transfer whip: email@example.com
Follow the video for details on how to correctly and safely work with this method. The chart below shows the maximum CO2 that can be filled for each cylinder size. It is important to know the empty weight before it is filled. It should be similar to chart below. Do not past the approximate total weight. If this happens remove some CO2.
It is important to know the empty weight before it is filled. Make sure the scale is used so it does not overfill.
|ISTA||ISTA||Equivalent cylinder||Approximate||Maximum amount of CO2||Approximate total|
|Item #||Cylinder size||size in oz.||empty weight||than can be filled||filled weight|
|00592||.5L||12 oz.||1.30 lbs||.75 lbs (12 oz.)||2.05 lbs. or 32.8 oz.|
|00593||.82L||20 oz.||1.88 lbs||1.25 lbs (20 oz.)||3.13 lbs. or 50.08 oz.|
|00594||1L||24 oz.||2.12 lbs||1.50 lbs (24 oz.)||3.62 lbs. or 57.92 oz.|
|00597||2L||48 oz.||4.17 lbs||3 lbs (48 oz.)||6.67 lbs. or 106.72 oz.|
|00604 .||3L||72 oz.||6.36 lbs||4.50 lbs (72 oz.)||10.86 lbs. or 173.76 oz.|
Every 5 years a hydro test must be performed on the ISTA CO2 cylinders with a certified Company. Maximum duration of the cylinder is 15 years.